Thursday, August 18, 2011

QT10015: 1 John 2: 5-6 (Dad, You're Jesus!)

But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked. - 1 John 2: 5-6 
Yesterday while I was mopping the floor, I asked Ize to stay on the sofa. He was quite bored so I decided to put the chairs in front of him and told him to pretend that he is on a boat. His boredom quickly subsided and got quite excited. He was watching me while I mop the front area of his "boat" and then he said "Dad, that's the water. Your stepping on the water." He was talking about the wet area that I've mopped. "Oh! You're walking on the water like Jesus!" I laughed and was happy that he remembers the stories shared to him on their Sunday School and the Christian cartoons he was watching on TBN - Smile of a Child.

The new Superman outfit. Ize pretending to be Superman.
"Really?" I asked him. "Yes! You are like Jesus. Dad, you're Jesus." he replied shouting. I laughed again and said "No, I am walking in water like Jesus and like?" I asked him if he knows who is the other person who walked in the water and when I got no answer I told him it was Peter - "I am like Peter, because Peter walked in the water too. I am Peter!"

Then I remembered these verses and asked myself, am I following Jesus? 

It is true that following Jesus is hard because of our sinful-nature. Christian terms like sinful-nature, flesh, body of sin, and old man all pertains to us able to do sins easily even without learning how to do it. One example of this is a child learning to lie. Even if you don't teach a child to lie, they'll eventually do it and that is because of our sinful-nature.

The Bible teaches us that when we follow Jesus, God's love is perfected in us. How? Simply put, Jesus didn't have a simple life when he walked among us. He was stoned, mocked, and persecuted. So following Him means to have the same hardship as He did. Others literally followed Jesus even in hardship by whipping their backs or even nailing themselves at the cross but it is not what Jesus wanted. He already did it for us so we won't have to, we just have to follow His instructions.

And his instructions were to accept Jesus as our saviour (John 3: 16) and spread God's words (Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: - Matt 28: 19). 

Most people may not have the courage or knowledge to share God's words but you can share God's words by being a good example to others and showing them how God changed you or how God WORKS IN YOU. (Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. - Matt 5: 16)

God bless and take care everyone.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

it's a good thing he remembers the story of how Jesus walks on the water. God bless :)

Noel Ablon said...

Oo nga eh haha! Thanks sa pagbisita.