Thursday, August 12, 2010

Quiet Time 10001 - Hebrews 4:12

I have decided to share a hobby to everyone. It's a good hobby and it can only take a few minutes of your time. Here is what I'll be doing -  but first have a quick prayer for guidance.

I'll be presenting a verse from the Bible of course and I'll explain it in my own view. Christians call it QUIET TIME. It's called quiet time because you devote time and silence just to listen to God's word - yes, He is talking to you when you are reading His words. This is already done by a lot of Christians all over the world. You pick a verse in the Bible and try to understand what it means.

Your part will be to also understand the verse of course. And if you have time, you can comment what you think the verse means. There are no wrong explanations here. Okay here is my explanation of: 

Hebrews 4:12

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."
==
I chose this verse because this verse is very powerful. Okay, here it goes.

It is said here that God's word is truly powerful and it was described as quick and powerful AND sharper than any two-edged sword. Imagine yourself being stabbed by a sharp two-edged sword  - quickly and with might. Wack! You'll never know what hit you. Right? It's precisely what God's word is. That is why, people try to ignore it, they try not to listen because they know it will pierce not just through their heart but their soul as well. 

I remembered answering a topic in a forum with verse from the Bible and I waited for people to respond. Believe it or not - none have responded. When I scold my little brother, he keeps on mouthing back and tells me all about his reasons but when I share the word of God - he keeps quiet. Part of him knows when God is in front of him, he can never reason back when he is at fault.

We feel hurt when we hear a certain word of God. For example, from Exodus 20:7, it says - "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain." It can only mean that we are guilty of sin whenever we say God's name in vain or in nonsense things. American's famous line whenever bad things happen - "Jesus Christ! What happened here?", for Filipinos - "Diyos ko po!". Just reading this now, do you feel guilty? If you do this then you should. Remember, putting God's name in vain is blasphemy as it says in Romans 2:24 - For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written. Putting his name on something means God has something to do with it.

If you feel guilty that means the word of God discerned your thoughts already. That is the word of God. Pierces to your soul, to your heart and discerns your thoughts. But never fear, His words will heal your wounds as well - if you let Him.

Thanks for joining me. God bless.

2 comments:

Nebz said...

Amen, Noel, to your explanation.

That is one verse which really is piercing and so very true. This is I think the reason why most people do not read The Bible. This is the reason why everytime I read my Bible, I feel convicted. Dahil it's like showing me how sinful I am. It also is divine because, at the same time that it's piercing my sinful heart, it also tells me how I can be saved.

Noel Ablon said...

thanks Nebz, sobrang totoo nito. Gaya ng sa buhay natin na minsan ang katotohanan ay mahirap tanggapin.